Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Silence from the Sarcasm: Remembering 9/11/01


Today I take a moment of silence from the sarcasm.

11 years ago our country was under attack. I can still remember sitting in my Business Law class and hearing the news that the World Trade Center had been hit.  As a 15 year old, the news was confusing and, until that moment, utterly implausible.  I grew up in a small town in Connecticut and was shielded from the big scary world around me.  This was my first glimpse of what human beings were capable of.  Later that day, when NYC, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C. suffered a similar fate yet again, I was numb for the first time.

My heart was heavy as our High School dismissed us to go home and be with our families.  Looking at the home I had come back to each day, with the white picket fence and the overly enthusiastic Springer Spaniel barking in the window, I experienced the feeling of safety once again.

11 years ago, I could never imagine that I would grow up to work in one of the buildings I saw on the news that day.  Reconstructed, revived, and stronger than ever, I would walk into that building and proudly serve my country.  I couldn’t fathom how honored I would feel to support our armed forces-- the  brave men and women who continue to sacrifice their lives protecting that intangible feeling of safety felt by today’s unassuming 15-year-old girl.  

I hope that everyone takes time out of their day to stop talking about celebrities, politics, finances and sports.  This should be a day that we can all unite, regardless of our differences, and stand together as one country.  Tell your family that you love them, tell your friends that you appreciate them, and acknowledge how blessed you are. Tell a firefighter, a policeman, or service member, thank you.  Take the time to be proud of living in a country that allows the debates, opinions, competition, love, and sarcasm to continue.  Take the time to be proud to be an American.

9/11/01: Never Forget.

3 comments:

  1. Love this and love you syd the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nicely stated. It's good to see younger people with an appreciation for what our country affords its people. Thanks for the thanks.

    ReplyDelete